Jake Vickers wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:
Interesting.

I don't buy that using an IP address is necessarily the best practice though. Here are my thoughts on this.

It does not matter so much these days, but it used to be best practice for multi-domain machines that accept mail. The reason being that when a connection is coming in the recipient server has no idea (initially) what domain the message is destined for, so it should answer with an IP address since this IP address *should always* be the answer when checking a domain's MX record versus the domain name which may not be related to the recipient domain. For diagnosing purposes when the sending admin checks the logs and sees the IP address for the server he can then check the MX record and verify the IP address. These days it's a given that a mail server is accepting mail for multiple domains and this does not matter as much, but I have seen it used for a lot of "older" email shops.

Thanks for the explanation Jake. To be honest though, I don't really follow your logic. This has nothing to do with MX records that I've seen in the RFCs.

BL, I agree it doesn't matter much, at least until a server refuses mail from you because of it. I still think that the best value here is a hostname that has a type A record matching the IP address that is used to connect to the host. If this is the case and a receiving server has a problem with the name, then I think the problem lies with the receiving server.