My local LUG (Phoenix Linux Users Group) used Joomla for a while, and had terrible problems with it as well. They're now using Drupal.
FWIW.

sysadmin wrote:
Warning Will Robinson,
****DO NOT Use Joomla ****

This has been a pain in my A** for years, only because my bosses are to cheap to get commercial software.
madmac

Jake Vickers wrote:
Nigel Reed wrote:
This is a good question for anyone who likes a brain teaser.

Current situation: I'm using a template driven website that many other clubs use. My site looks like everyone elses. We add members and their email addresses, then we can send an email to c...@myclubssite.com and it'll go to the members. Only people whose email addresses are registered can sent.

Now, I am moving to Joomla, and I would like a similar setup, I will move the domain over, but I have no idea how I can interface Joomla with Qmail. My first instinct is to do an SQL query and select the email addresses from the Jooma database into the qmail aliases database. This wouldn't stop others from sending email to that alias.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Not sure about Joomla, but with Drupal (what I use for the video magazine site) there is a ezmlm module that allows users to check/uncheck what mailing lists I make available to them. I'm sure there would be something similar for Joomla.