While you can proceed to do other things with Thunderbird open.  If you
are using IMAP and close the client it will drop the connection and fail
to write to the sent folder.  I don't know for POP, but I am guessing
the same holds true if you close the app, you'll disrupt the copy to the
sent folder.

--
Cecil Yother, Jr. "cj"
cj's