Pierre Gaxatte wrote:
Le 25/05/2010 19:23, Eric Shubert a écrit :
Pierre Gaxatte wrote:
I configure forwarding using lines like these:

echo \&exampleu...@example.local | sudo -u vpopmail -H tee
/home/vpopmail/domains/example.com/exampleuser/.qmail
chmod 600 /home/vpopmail/domains/example.com/example/.qmail

This script usually runs in the context of some user other than
vpopmail, so I use sudo tee to get the text from the echo command into
the .qmail file.

These lines produce a .qmail file with the following content:

&exampleu...@example.local

This is the only content in the .qmail file. There is no CR or LF at
the end of the line.

Hi,

That's what I did. Actually I configured one domain through the
qmailadmin interface and then copied the newly created .qmail files to
the other domains.

It turns out qmailadmin creates two files :
- in the domain.com folder, there is a .qmail-postmaster-default file
- in the domain.com/postmaster, there is a .qmail file

Both files are identical and contain the forwarding command as above.

I don't know why the .qmail-postmaster-default is created but it seems
mandatory. This doesn't seem to be documented.

Regards,
Pierre

Please document it on the wiki, Pierre. Let me know if you can't find an
appropriate place to put it. Thanks.

I expect that the default file is needed in case it gets changed, so it
can revert to the default setting. That's just a guess, but seems logical.

The User Tips & Tricks section seems appropriate but maybe it would be more logical to write a small article on redirection in general (not restricted to redirecting postmaster's mail).

User T&T is getting pretty crowded (which is a good thing I suppose). This is more of a fundamental thing, so I created a Redirection section on the Configuration page. If you'd write a bit about redirection in general there, that'd be great. Might want to include a link to taps there as well.

Over the internet, I found a lot of ressources explaining the .qmail functioning but, from what I recall, noone mentioned the .qmail-postmaster-default.

Huh. You can be the first then. :) Probably need to play with it a bit to be sure what it's used for.