Nothing much out of the ordinary. I have a few hosts that rewrite is working on.

For some reason the rewrite isn't working for you.

I think you're missing a '.' after 'webmail', as in:
RewriteRule ^(.*/webmail.*)$ https://%{SERVER_NAME}$1 [L,R]

sysadmin wrote:
Hi Maxwell and Eric,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I did try both your methods but only One would work.
Maxwells :
I changed my squirrelmail.conf as you suggested after backing up original

<Directory "/usr/share/squirrelmail">
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} !^443$
RewriteRule ^(.*/webmail*)$ https://%{SERVER_NAME}$1 [L,R]
allow from all
SSLRequireSSL
ErrorDocument 403 "https://your.server.com/webmail/";
</Directory>

it worked.
I saved a copy and modified it as Eric suggested, it fails
logs show " access to /usr/share/squirrelmail failed, reason: SSL connection required

Aslo, needed to modify the firewall, to allow port 443

So eric what does your conf file look like ?

Thanks all