From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 2:58 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: "Message not sent. Server replied: 354" Problem
in qmail

No, but there probably should be. There's a brief mention of it on the
DomainKeys page, but that page is a little outdated anyhow.

In short, you need to install it:
# yum -y install bind caching-nameserver

Then start it:
# chkconfig named on
# service start named

Then change /etc/resolv.conf as follows:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
You can have other nameservers listed after this for backup, but they
shouldn't be necessary.

Then test it with dig:
# dig qmailtoaster.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> qmailtoaster.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;qmailtoaster.com.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
qmailtoaster.com.       86400   IN      A       66.226.75.14

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       365336  IN      NS      b.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      c.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      d.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      e.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      f.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      g.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      h.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      i.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      j.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      k.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      l.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      m.root-servers.net.
.                       365336  IN      NS      a.root-servers.net.

;; Query time: 447 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 11 12:52:33 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 261

Note that the server which answered the query is 127.0.0.1, which is
your caching nameserver, so you're good to go.

Would you care to update the wiki with this Joel? I think you could just
add it here:
http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Configuration#bind

On 10/11/2010 12:23 PM, Joel Eddy wrote:
> Hey Eric,
>
> Is there a WIKI QUICKY for setting up the caching name-server. I've looked
> through the QmailWiki and I'm not finding it.
>
> Joel

     For additional commands, e-mail:
qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com