On Oct 25, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:

> Perhaps a perl expert here (Steve maybe?) might help with how to straighten
> things out. I'm not real strong with CPAN.

hi!  i have been (a bit belatedly) following this thread.

Paco, please run `rpm -V perl` (as root) and capture the output.  if the output
is, say, 10 lines or fewer, then please post it to the list; if it's longer,
please stick it up on a pastebin somewhere and send us a link.

my first guess as to what is wrong is that by using the CPAN shell you have
clobbered some element of the system perl package, and now it is misbehaving.

on a system with package management (e.g. RHEL/CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
Solaris, *BSD, etc.) you should not use the CPAN shell ever, for any reason, at
all, no matter what it says in a wiki or a README (and if you know enough to
know when you can disregard that statement, more power to you :) ).

-shuff

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable
fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v