I wonder if port 587 is blocked.
Do you see anything in the submission log on the server from the iphone?
Can you run a telnet app on the phone to test?

On 11/20/2010 05:05 AM, Tony White wrote:
Hello Eric,
Yes I am using the entire email address and the port is 587.
His outlook worked first time as did mine via Thunderbird.
This is worrying as I need to get my clients into smtp-auth so
I can set up SPF correctly.
I cannot even find out much on the web regarding smtp-auth
and Iphone.