On 02/21/2011 05:51 AM, Steve Huff wrote:

On Feb 19, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:

Steve, I noticed that rpmforge has reorganized packages a bit (I was looking
for rsync 3.x, and it appears to have moved). Do I understand correctly that
packages which are part of the base CentOS are now in the rpmforge-extras repo?
If so, the rpmforge repo can be safely enabled by default, and I should change
the qtp-install-rpmforge script accordingly. Thanks for your expertise. :)

heya Eric!  here's the announcement:

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.rpmforge.net/msg01924.html

so, in a nutshell, there are two options:

1) enable rpmforge, don't enable rpmforge-extras: this means that none of the
base CentOS packages should be replaced, but you might not see all the packages
that you expect

2) enable rpmforge, enable rpmforge-extras: you should see all the packages you
expect, but you'll have to be explicit about overwriting some packages from
CentOS

does that help?

-steve

Yes. On #2 though, I'm not clear about the "you'll have to be explicit about overwriting some packages" part. What would this entail, and under what circumstances? I would expect that packages from rfx would simply replace their older el5 counterparts. No?

My main objective here is stability. There is very little coupling between QMT packages and the OS/base packages. The exception here would be spamassassin and perl modules, where there is relatively strong coupling. In this case, I expect that the most recent versions would tend to be the best (most stable and accurate).

So I'm inclined to enable both rf and rfx repos by default. (I realize that this is different from what I chose to do before). Do you think this is best, or would you do something different?

Thanks Steve.

If anyone else has thoughts on this, please chime in.