#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/spamd -x -m 8 -u vpopmail -s stderr 2>&1

That's a good start.

What are your load number looking like? Pretty low I expect.

I'd open that puppy up. You can handle way more than 25 connections.

I'd go back to the default value of 100 for starters, and double the number of spamd children. Then keep an eye on things. You don't want to get so many spamd instances running that you start swapping ram.

Find a good comfortable number for spamd children (this is what will eat your ram and cpu), then adjust your total smtp sessions to fit. You should have many more (2-4x) smtp sessions available as spamd children.

With that many domains and users, there is probably a good deal of mail queued up in other servers, which is why you're getting pounded so hard. You might need to turn off spamassassin temporarily to get past the wave, but I'd only do that as a last resort. What you have here is a good opportunity to do some serious tuning. :)

Well Eric, thanks for your reply.
Load>
# top
top - 16:01:49 up 4 days, 19:13,  1 user,  load average: 0.18, 0.33, 0.42
Tasks: 264 total,   1 running, 263 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 2.1%us, 0.5%sy, 0.0%ni, 93.1%id, 4.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st
Mem:   1026432k total,   987040k used,    39392k free,    18456k buffers
Swap:  2064376k total,    36592k used,  2027784k free,   275032k cached

Would you suggest stepping spamd childs from 8 to 16 and incoming connections to 64?

Serious tuning (or tuning at all) its the hardest part!

thanks!