Ok, crazy mistake. When I rsync'ed over the maildirs from my previous server, (which wasn't using vpopmail), I copied the entire "domain.com" directory.

I may have also used rsync's --delete flag... and it destroyed any .qmail* files in the directory, including .qmail-default ... good thing I had the original backed up. Upon restoring it, it delivers mail as it should.

Thanks for your help everyone!