Just to throw my 2-cents worth in here...

Binary packages are fine in a well-controlled environment, but source packages offer far more flexibility -- especially if the Makefiles are sophisticated enough to recognize advanced features and take advantage of them (without REQUIRING them). And while binary packages of SpamAssassin and ClamAV are likely available in binary form (and it may not be a bad idea to make the QMT dependent on the "standard" installation features and locations of each of these), the fact is that QMT grew up in a time when QMail itself was REQUIRED to be distributed in a source format -- part of the licensing requirement of Daniel Bernstein, author of QMail. (I don't think that's true anymore, since Daniel put QMail truly into the Public Domain, but I never worried about that so I'm not totally up-to-date on QMail licensing requirements).

NOTE: I already use QMail in a VM environment (CentOS 5.6 is the host OS, Xen is the VM environment, and CentOS 5.5 is my current guest OS running QMT -- I'll update that at some time in the future, but I'm honestly expecting to wait for CentOS 6 before I upgrade the base QMT again). The point is, you are right that there is a sizable disk-space requirement to rebuild the entire QMT from source (*esp*. ClamAV)... but there is an easy way to "patch" that! Specifically, I mount an NFS volume from my Xen Host to supplement my Xen Client's storage while I build, then unmount and destroy the "temp space" when I'm done.

NOTE: For ME this works especially well because I administer so many QMT installs -- I update the VM image, then "distribute" it to my clients. All of their actual data (the queue, the mailboxes, the control folder, etc.) are kept on NFS-mounted drives on the HOST OS -- so only the binary QMT is actually run on the Xen-Client... this is not a NORMAL config, and wouldn't be MY config if it weren't for my need to manage so many installs at the same time.

Take from this what you wish -- discard the rest. It's worth every penny you paid for it!

Dan
IT4SOHO