Just to put some notes out there, that doesn't seem like it would solve any
problems.

Your still stuck with a single point of failure, if your backend decides to
crap out your stuck with two dead front end boxes. Did you ever figure out what
was causing the 100% load ?

What I would recommend is looking at your my.cnf for mysql, and see if you have
it can squeeze some performance by adjusting the query cache, waittime out, and
other things.

Just some info on what we did, here what we have working and it been working
fine for over a year now.

What we have is pretty straight forward, and might help  you in your situation.

QMAIL1 (APACHE) ----- QMAIL2 (APACHE)

          LB (Virtual IP) - For Both Gluster and MySQL.
MYSQL (MASTER)   MYSQL (MASTER)
NFS (Gluster)      NFS (Gluster)

A single QMAIL server alone even with crappy hardware cant host a few hundred
domains and a few thousand accounts.