Any takers on this one? The problem is definitely on my SA1 box (you can see spamd start hogging memory and eating up the processor and notice a constant heavy load when you view the stats with htop, or "w".

There isn't really much on the wiki regarding SaneSecurity, so I was hoping for some insight in configuring it and tuning it for better performance. So, while this is one piece to the problem, the other issue is that when messages are flagged by SaneSecurity, they are rejected by SA1 (primary spamassassin box) when GW1 (primary spamdyke box - all mail hits this server, then is passed to SA1 using smtproutes) attempts to pass the mail to the next hop. What this means is that I end up with several thousand messages in my queue every day on GW1, and they end up being something like this:

15107007 (9, L)
  From: mailer-dae...@gateway1.smileglobal.com
  To: postmas...@gateway1.smileglobal.com
  Subject: failure notice
  Date: 25 Jan 2012 00:50:42 -0000
  Size: 23018 bytes

 --------------------------------------
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at gateway1.smileglobal.com.

<r...@some-domain.com>:
User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<r...@some-domain.com> 69.7.35.24 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 Your email was rejected because it contains the Sanesecurity.Jurlbl.5049.UNOFFICIAL virus

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me and help me figure out a better solution.

Thanks,

Casey Price

Smile Global Technical Support
Submit or check trouble tickets http://billing.smileglobal.com