On 01/25/2012 09:50 PM, Casey Price wrote:
On another note...that link that Eric previously shared from Bill
Schupp's site shows spamd running on a separate host with the spamc
client running on the inbound boxes.

How might one go about setting up something like this, and is it
recommended?

I believe the reason we had separated out the GW boxes from the SA boxes
was because there were times that the GW boxes would get overloaded
trying to process messages using spamassassin and we'd end up with a
huge queue. So if I'm interpreting this correctly, if we made the SA1
box purely a spamassassin box (which it pretty much is now, but all the
mail is being passed from GW1 via smtproutes) and then had spamc running
on GW1, that would probably solved some of my problems don't you think?
At least the ones I had been having from SaneSecurity and it sending
bounces back to my GW box.

Having spamd running on a separate host *might* be appropriate with 2 or more gateways, but not with just one. The main reason being that with a separate host, there's no potential performance gain due to i/o caching, which can be substantial.

I would wait and see how the single box performs. The stock QMT isn't really tuned at all for major ISP type installations. With a little tuning, QMT can operate at peak capacity while not becoming overloaded. Tuning parameters such as the number of connections and spamc children can do wonders. You might also consider making the /var/qmail/simscan folder a tmpfs, but if the system has ample ram then linux i/o caching can achieve the same result. You can also consider compiling the spamassassin code, although I expect the gains from that aren't significant unless your host is CPU bound.

We really need to do some work on documenting tuning best practices, and get this on the wiki. Would someone care to tackle this?

In any case, I expect that a single host could handle your load. Besides which, what's so bad about deferring some connections occasionally? So the message sits in the sender's queue a little longer and the message doesn't arrive quite as quickly. I think this is reasonable to expect during peak times. As long as this happens just occasionally and not continually, I doubt your customers would even notice.

Did I miss (or forget) it, or have you posted what your hardware is? ;)