On 03/07/2012 02:03 AM, Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
Il 06/03/2012 20:37, Eric Shubert ha scritto:

While I understand your scenario for when it should be used, I
disagree that it should be avoided if possible. That may be the case
for a service provider which has hundreds if not thousands of
accounts, but not in all cases.

I agree, it depends on situations. In my case, when a user need an
extension, he adds an alias.
I suggest only expert people should use catchall, as no error message is
sent back, so senders are not notified about not existing recipients.

I think this is a good guideline.

It is true, but in this situation you are not really using chkuser, as
any recipient is accepted for your domain.
You (system manager) may change badmailfrom, but normal users or
qmailadmin administrators cannot.
As conseguence, all spam messages become real traffic instead of being
stopped at SMTP level.

I see your point. I do like seeing messages blocked at the SMTP level whenever possible (who wouldn't?).

I'm not seeing much of a down side to enabling all 3 of these settings
by default. What is the down side in your view? I'm inclined to change
the QMT default configuration to allow all 3 by default, which brings
QMT in line with qmail's default behavior. However I certainly
wouldn't do this without consulting you, as well as anyone else who'd
like to chime in on this.

It is pretty normal to enable all three. This will let you avoid
catchall accounts (unless there are other reasons to have catchall).

That's what I'm thinking. I'll propose that we change the defaults in another thread.

Thanks for your input on this Tonino. Your continued contributions have great value, and we appreciate your work.