Hi,

I only do backup once a week :( and the backups are local to another NAS
As for the IMAP I must agreed that it's safer since they benefit from the
backups of the server.
But there is a downside: As time goes on the user will have a larger
Inbox/Outbox folder and that means loading those folders every time the
user logins. You need to have a fast WAN connection to keep many clients
using IMAP :(
IMAP is good when client and server are very close, like the squirrelmail
and the courier you have on your qmailtoaster, that works perfectly. ut
when you separate IMAP client from the server, things are not so good.

That's why I am investigating the MAPI protocol as an alternative to deploy
for my clients and also to fight the growing need to Office 365 which comes
with MS Exchange online.
Sogo is an alternative to MS Exchange and it's believed to work with
qmailtoaster. But I never had time to test it.

Why don't you try it?