On 3/19/2012 1:10 PM, Délsio Cabá wrote:
Hi,

I only do backup once a week :( and the backups are local to another NAS
As for the IMAP I must agreed that it's safer since they benefit from the backups of the server. But there is a downside: As time goes on the user will have a larger Inbox/Outbox folder and that means loading those folders every time the user logins. You need to have a fast WAN connection to keep many clients using IMAP :( IMAP is good when client and server are very close, like the squirrelmail and the courier you have on your qmailtoaster, that works perfectly. ut when you separate IMAP client from the server, things are not so good.

That's why I am investigating the MAPI protocol as an alternative to deploy for my clients and also to fight the growing need to Office 365 which comes with MS Exchange online. Sogo is an alternative to MS Exchange and it's believed to work with qmailtoaster. But I never had time to test it.

Why don't you try it?

You raise valid concerns regarding mailbox size... however, by teaching your clients to create and use both online and offline folders, you considerably mitigate those issues... for example, I have several Insurance Agencies as clients -- they routinely get about 4GB of emails per year on their main site... but by separating them as they come in into existing, new, & old clients; and then in to auto, health, life, and other folders, the sizes become VERY manageable. Then, once every 6-months, we archive everything more than 18months old into offline storage. Thus, they can search (nearly instantly) the last 18 months of emails, and can search (locally, and more slowly) older messages very easily.

Most of these clients use Thunderbird and IMAP... there are known issues with Outlook (esp. 2003 and older) and IMAP... if you ask me, issues PLANTED by MS to encourage using Exchange vs. IMAP...

As for using MAPI, my only concern there is that I prefer to stay away from "monolithic" standards (that is, standards that are controlled by a for-profit company)... and Microsoft has a well-earned reputation (think Active Directory) for making unilateral and unannounced changes to their "standards" specifically to break "compatible" 3rd party applications. (In Microsoft's defense, they do have a more recent history of working WITH the Open Source community... but its going to take more of a track record for me to trust MS "standards"... and I'm not there yet.

Of course, one of the best things about Open Source is that we all get to do our own thing for our own reasons!

Dan

--

IT4SOHO, LLC
PO Box 507