eric

separating tcprules for smtp and submission works great. we have been
using this for years.

concerning the error tony is facing

i have noticed in the past that : intrusion threshold error (571 sorry,
you are violating our security policies) is recd when the number of wrong
recepients gets triggered.

in case of outlook i have noted that it somehow does this

if i add an user in my address book in some cases it converts it into :
'u...@abc.com' -- ie with quotes at both ends

you can google : "outlook adds quotes to email address" and you will find
over 50000 results ... :) and there are hundreds of people complaining
about this stupdity of microsoft.

if an email is sent to the above email id then i get error : invalid host
: abc.com'

note the quote at the end ...

probably this is what triggers the intrusion policy rule
CHKUSER_MAXWRONGRCPT_STRING

when sending to 300 recepients especially with outlook there is every
possibility of this issue coming up.

on a side note : i feel that qmailtoaster would need a slight modification
to remove quotes and other non-permitted characters from both ends ie
starting and ending of the email id to care off such issues of quotes.

rajesh

> [...]
> tcprules for smtp and submission ports in the stock QMT at some point.
>
> Tony, from what you've indicated though, I expect it's the intrusion
> threshold rule that's biting you. I'm not certain what triggers this
> rule, and I could be wrong about this. Hopefully Tonino will clarify
> things in this regard.
>
> Please let us know if changing the CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT variable gets you
> going or not.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'
>
> On 12/24/2012 04:53 AM, Rajesh M wrote:
>> tony
>>
>> we faced similar problems and this is what we have done
>>
>> in the /var/qmail/supervise
>>
>> there are folders smtp and submission
>>
>> smtp is for people connecting on port 25 -- primarily external users
>> if you open smtp/run then you will see a line
>> TCP_CDB="/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp.cdb"
>> this tcp.smtp.cdb is generated from the file tcp.smtp
>> when you run the command
>> tcprules tcp.smtp.cdb tcp.smtp.tmp < tcp.smtp
>> tcp.smtp contains the chkuser rules
>> since you already have spamdyke you don't need to set the maximum number
>> of recepients in chkuser
>> CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="150"
>>
>> coming to your specific problem is submission
>> transmission via submission port 587 is authenticated ie your clients
>> use it
>>
>> the submission/run file also uses the
>> TCP_CDB="/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp.cdb" -- which is by default
>> this means that you will be compelled to use the same setting for smtp
>>
>> however what we have done is make a duplicate of tcp.smtp ie
>> tcp.smtp.587
>>
>> this allows me to have separate chkuser rules exclusively submission
>> port.
>>
>> next i created cdb file out of it using command
>> tcprules tcp.smtp.587.cdb tcp.smtp.587.tmp < tcp.smtp.587
>>
>> next i changed the submission/run file to use
>> TCP_CDB="/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp.587.cdb"
>>
>> and i got a separate rule applied for submission port exclusively
>>
>> my smtp port has spamdyke and chkuser protecting it while my
>> authenticated
>> senders via submission port can enjoy unrestricted services
>>
>> if you want one single static ip to have a separate rule then
>>
>> you can add this line just above the allow: line in
>> /etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp.587
>>
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.:allow,CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="300"
>>
>> here xxx.xxx.xxx is the static ip of your customer
>>
>> NOTE : we have also compiled chkuser so that we can start or stop
>> chkuser
>> using the CHKUSER_START="ALWAYS" OR CHKUSER_START="NONE"
>>
>> rajesh
>>

>>> Hi Eric,
>>>     Yes, it is on a static IP and that IP is in the whitelist for
>>> spamdyke.
>>> Also they are using the submission port for sending. The client has
>>> to use M$ Outlook unless you can suggest a an alternative?
>>>    One point is that Outlook seems to attach everything as winmail.dat!

>>> 4 The Crescent
>>> Yea