Actually, I usually see this when the "catchall" setting is set to an address that doesn't exist, or forwards to an address that doesn't exist. This also happens when, as Eric was alluding to, the "failure" is actually fake -- the message it's complaining about wasn't your message to begin with (thus, backscatter).

My solution is a simple one... I stop playing so nicely because I'm tired of being taken advantage of... that is, I set all of my domains catchall setting to DELETED. Now, if you send mail to d...@it4soho.com instead of d...@it4soho.com... you won't know you screwed up... my mail server will accept the mis-addressed mail and delete it.

The reduction in SPAM when I did that was measurable! Specifically because people could no longer "mine" my mailserver for email addresses. They're all accepted, so "miners" quit trying -- everything they try appears to succeed, so they don't have a clue which ones actually get delivered.

An alternative (if you're worried about valid mis-directed mail) is to setup a special catchall account -- but be prepared to get a lot of mail in there!

I hope this helps

Dan McAllister