Jim, et. al.:

Just some comments on my own set of "best practices" as an ESP (E-mail Service Provider), and my own experiences with the likes of MXLogic:

First, I keep a set of email addresses on free mail services (it4s...@yahoo.com, for example). I primarily use them to test in/out mail flow when clients complain, but in this kind of case, I have used them to contact otherwise blocked recipients to enlist their assistance in removing the block. (The difference with the likes of MXLogic is that you need to use this "alternate" address as a way to contact the person who is missing the email (the recipient)... You will ask THAT person (the one NOT receiving messages from your server) for their help in getting messages to them... but they can't actually help you themselves! To help, that person then needs to contact /*their */IT department so that they (now the_*4th *_person) can contact MXLogic to help you get de-listed.)

Believe me, I know the pain that this is -- and there are other vendors who are just as much a pain in the a$$! But it is especially difficult because you're dependent upon so many others to do what you need them to do just to get someone at MXLogic to look at you!

My own tale:

   I actually _subscribed _to one vendor's anti-spam product for one of
   my domains for a 30-day trial.... SOLELY so their tech support team
would even TALK to me about getting a new mail server de-listed! I'd spent more than TWO WEEKS trying to get off of their filters
   (another case of an anti-SPAM company purchased by an AV company and
   subsequently trashed by same). Once I subscribed (for the trial,
   mind you -- I never paid them a dime!) I was off their damnable list
   -- same day!

   The REASON I was on the list to begin with was that some decade or
   so ago, the IP address I was assigned was in a dynamic range... when
   my ISP purchased that IP range, they didn't know about its past, and
   I was the first mailserver to be implemented (I was, after all,
   address 6 in the range). When I contacted my ISP about this, and
   THEY tried to contact the vendor -- they too were rebuffed.

   Only when *I* became a "paying client" were they willing to give
   ANYONE the time of day about why they were blocking the IP address
   range... as a paying client, I got reasons and resolution in a
   matter of hours!

   I very nearly lost the account over the length of time it took to
   get that one last block removed -- and I may yet still lose it
   because the client lost some significant confidence in me over it...
   but that's another story (the moral of which is, I'll never again
   accept mail hosting without DNS hosting as part of the package!).

Another suggestion is to use multiple types of monitoring... if you're hosting hundreds (or even thousands) of users, you need to watch out for bad actors. I previously posted a short script that makes use of free tools to scan the QMT log files and count the number of failed message attempts per day. When it exceeds an artificial threshold, I get notified and I can presumably do something about it -- like determine if one user is the majority of those failures, and if so, shut them down BEFORE they get us blacklisted! Another option is to subscribe to tools like those available at mxtoolbox.com. They're not free, but the scan and test things for you and only bother you if there are changes.

I hope this is useful... to SOMEONE!

Dan
IT4SOHO