On 11/29/2013 11:32 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:

Untitled

That's neat.

I wouldn't consider it a practical change for the base QMT though, as it's not generic enough. For example, how would it be implemented with an LDAP backend? I hope to have an LDAP option for vpopmail when we upgrade to vpopmail v5.5.

I don't know about vpopmail with LDAP backend but currently Samba4 has Active Directory Support with it's own LDAP engine (no longer requeires OpenLDAP).
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba
And the best thing with Samba's Active Directory that it can be managed with Windows Remote Administration Tools (the same tool that you get on Win2000/2003/2008 server to manage Users, Groups, Computers)

so what I do now is, using MySQL Triggers to insert a record table user_access.dc_notify every time qmailadmin / vpopmail changes table vpopmail.holding_com then a cron script read table user_access.dc_notify and do actions Samba4's DC/ADS either creating new user, remove user or change the password

I have test it internally, and I can have user's PC (WinXP on vm) logon to Samba4's DC/ADS,
Ms outlook can have address book of all email accounts @holding.com,
And with Active directory that contain user/pass I can have appliances (such as Proxy, VPN ) and applications (web, desktop, mobile) to check credentials against it.

I know is not that simple, but currently this is the only way I know, to provide LDAP/Active Directory support to my network with username/password that same with email account. I don't know when QMT v2.0 will be launch with Dovecot, vpopmail5.5 with LDAP, mailman and so on. but I do hope the new version is still compatible with old version or at least have migration path

or even great that I can choose what module or configuration applied to my old QMT box. because these configuration requires vpopmail with mysql support, and each domain on each table, and clear-text-password

ps:
1. I also have mysql table that contains email's user and md5'ed clear-text-password for old application that do not have ability / plugin /module to check into DC/ADS 2. And they said, Samba4 is not compatible/suggested/recommended with OpenLDAP http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend 3. does other QMT's corporate / business users still need Active directory? if so I may share my script/configuration