On 12/23/2013 11:59 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
On 12/23/2013 08:17 AM, Dan McAllister wrote:
PS: You might note that Eric and I often disagree on tech issues --
personally, I think this makes our project stronger, as we challenge
each other. I know that MY installations and procedures have been
improved because I take the time to "argue the point" with Eric -- which
makes me look at my decisions anew frequently, and re-evaluate my
opinions often. I suspect that he has altered an opinion or two based on
my input over the years... but that is pure speculation on my part :)

Quite true, Dan. I agree.

In fact Dan and I probably agree much more often than not. There are many things we agree upon which simply go unsaid.

Thanks for your PHP comments, Dan. I suspected that this was the case, but had no personal experience with that so I didn't want to speculate.

Regarding virtualization, we're much closer than it might appear. PVE is simply a (very nice) web interface which sits atop Qemu/KVM/Openvz. While a good many things are covered by the web interface (you can create COW2 (default), Raw, or VMDK disks initially), some things must still be done manually (such as giving a VM direct access to a disk, which I do for user data). Also, PVE provides storage pools and clustering of sorts, which is kinda nice even though I don't typically use these features. I feel that PVE has allowed me to utilize Qemu/KVM with less of a training curve, and it continues to help my productivity, so I continue to use it. Bottom Line is that we're both using essentially the same technology for virtualization. We're simply using different tools for managing things.

I didn't mean to imply that we disagree ALL THE TIME -- that would likely make our work on QMT unbearable for one (or both) of us... But there are some areas where we do disagree -- and as I mentioned, /_*I LIKE IT*_/ when we do, because it usually means I should go back and look at my assumptions and/or previous decisions. (An example might be Eric's preference for 32-bit software <grin>)...

I'm a busy guy -- the point of which is, I don't spend a lot of time re-inventing or re-evaluating how I do things. When something comes up and I mention how I do it, and Eric bounces back with a different way, it makes me think again about why I'm doing it that way. Sometimes, I still like my way (like using 64-bit COS6 clients for my appliances), while other times I have made changes... sometimes to what Eric suggested, other times to a 3rd way -- after all, I like to say I "don't drink the Kool-Aide", and that includes Eric's Kool-Aide as well as anyone else's!

For example: a vendor of mine for cloud-based backups just made a terrible blunder -- they called to convince me to upgrade to the next level of their service. Rather than just re-up, I looked at our backup solutions all over again... and chose a new vendor altogether! LOL - lesson to vendors: don't stir the pot!

One final FWIW - I'm working on a SHELL script (vs. the previous Perl) that will offer the opportunity to organize & search log files. I may have to re-write when Eric redoes the logging mechanism, but I need the functionality too much not to do it now. I'll publish once its done.

Dan McAllister
QMT DNS/Mirror Admin

--
IT4SOHO, LLC