Yeah, that must be it.

I didn't have time to track down the issue, all I can say is php53 broke
my installation. I also didn't like the fact that VQadmin never worked
correctly.

My Postfix installation works perfectly for my needs and so do the
administrative tools, and web based applications created for it. YUM
works without issue and hasn't broken anything yet when updating. That's
what I need.

I really like QMail and didn't want to change, but it was the prudent
thing to do.