Hi,
  Thanks to all who answered the question.
The question was obviously badly framed as I was really
asking "has anyone converted a running server to a VM?".
  The information gained is great but has anyone converted
their system to an image yet? Was it successful? Did it take
long? Am I better off rebuilding then transferring?

best wishes
  Tony White