On 04/04/2014 06:22 AM, Dan McAllister wrote:
I'm very much not a fan of re-assigning well-known-ports to other locations (like FTP or SSH).

Most of us admins have static IPs where we work, if not where we live.
If you try to SSH into any of my servers (other than just 1 that is not especially public), you'll be denied (connection dropped).
I can get in because of my [source] IP address and my iptables rules.

That's certainly a better solution than "security by obscurity". I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with only one IP having access though. Might want to have a backup or two.

I also use a "trigger port" (try to open this "odd" port and it will fail -- but my SSH port will be OPEN for 3 minutes!

"Port knocking" (I believe it's called) sounds cool to me. You can conceivably combine multiple port numbers into a combination lock of sorts. I haven't implemented this personally.

Just some ideas

Thanks Dan. Nice ideas that aren't QMT specific, but I think should be incorporated where feasible. We can at least document this type of thing in the wiki.

Dan