Jim,

Exactly why do you want/need a catchall account at all? Albeit, while that is far better than having a REJECT rule for badly addressed messages, it also creates an ongoing headache of someone having to scan through tons of messages that you KNOW are most likely SPAM.

First, some background -- you can do 3 things with badly addressed mail messages in QMail:
 - reject them
 - send them to a catchall account
 - delete them

Personally, all of my servers have a DELETE rule for badly addressed messages. I just drop them and forget about it.

First, most new admins want to use a REJECT option -- tell users they got a bad email address. This is the WORST option, however! Because of address phishing, you will get many times more SPAM than otherwise if you send REJECT messages. Why? Spammers will send 100,000 messages to your server addressed to a...@domain.com, a...@domain.com a...@domain.com... and so forth (usually, it is actually a dictionary/name attack more than a brute-force attack, but you get the idea). Their goal is to send you 100,000 emails and get only 99,998 bounce messages -- and voila! They have 2 "good" email addresses they can add to their "list of proven good addresses" that they sell to other spammers.

Just having a domain that is "searchable" that way will increase your SPAM attacks many-fold! So accept EVERYTHING (they'll stop phishing when they realize you NEVER reject a message due to a bad address!)

That leaves 2 options:
 - keep the bad messages, or
 - just silently delete them

In my book, I delete them. If you WANT to read through hundreds (or thousands) of messages that are nearly always SPAM, that's your business... but there are other ways to determine that a badly addressed message was attempted -- like that the recipient never got it!

===

One last tidbit for security: A lot of us are essentially lazy when it comes to accounts for email. Consider this: if your email address is your login ID, then a hacker only needs to know your password to break in! Consider instead, giving each user a separate mailbox name and e-mail address: a...@gunsnroses.com is just the email address... it actually is an alias (forward in QMT) for the mailbox axyl...@gunsnroses.com. Axyl needs to know the mailbox name when he sets up his mail clients (or uses webmail), but other than that, everyone uses axyl@ as the email address. When an "attacker" wants to break into the mail server for gunsnroses.com, they can use the name a...@gunsnroses.com until the cows come back from the moon -- but it'll never work, because that isn't a valid account.

FWIW: for my corporate accounts, I create a mailbox name (I won't disclose the formula), and then forwards for the actual user in the form of: fi...@domain.com, fl...@domain.com, f.l...@domain.com, firstl...@domain.com, & first.l...@domain.com (although first@ is sometimes omitted)... then the user can tell their friends/coworkers/associates any of the aliases that they prefer... and while all work, none are the login name for the user (nor the mailbox name).

Just food for thought.

Dan McAllister