Duplicate messages in mailbox can result from:
.) .qmail file in user's account that has 2 lines. This happens when the user's name is changed in qmailadmin (it's a bug). .) when scanning takes a long time, the sending smtp process (server or mail app) can time out before qmail-smtp acknowledges receipt. This happens most commonly with large emails submitted from Outlook that has insufficient timeout (should be max value).

These are the conditions that come to mind for me regarding duplicates.
HTH.