And here the way I did migrations:

1) Dump and import the Database using mysqldump
2) rsync the email data to the new server
3) Change MX entry
4) during DNS propagation run rsync often to resync new mail files to the new
sever

Have migrated two servers that way without down times. Disabled qmail and all
services on the old machine once DNS propagated to ensure all clients have
switched (all had since I have a whopping 6 users ;-)).

Things get even easier with a separated DB since you can just move the data
files and make sure the new server connects to the same DB. If you can add a
NFS storage for mail data too, you can even take that out of the picture. Works
well enough for smaller setups. Anything bigger would need a clustered file
system (which I still want to at with [ceph]).

I guess that's for another day though ;-)

Sent from my iPhone