Some other thoughts:

1.  Consider how secure your router/firewall is.  There are lots of
DefCon talks on Youtube where they hack into routers running linux
firmware and install malware.  Therefore don't overlook the possibility
that your router is the culprit.

2.  Tighten up your firewall rules as much as possible, especially for
ports 25 and 587.  Default rules can block all connections for ports 25,
465, 110, 143, 993, and 995.  Then go back and write rules to allow ONLY
the IP's which should be using these ports.  Allow the mail server
outgoing port 25.  Allow ports 587, 993, 995 only on the internal
clients which should be allowed to send/check mail.  You should probably
never allow ports 110 and 143 because they are plain-text and
usernames/passwords can easily be sniffed. Also consider if you are
allowing non-TLS logins on port 587 as the usernames/passwords would be
sent in plain-text and thus at risk of being sniffed.

This basically boils down to distrusting EVERY device on the internal
network, and then explicitly deciding which devices to trust.  The
degree this can be done will vary for different networks, but it should
be the guiding philosophy.  But remember that this is why QMail itself
is so secure... each component distrusts every other component.  :)

-Andy

PS:  don't forget about the router!  If it is insecure, all else is for
naught.