Not sure if this relates to any of your problems:

I had a few days ago problem with a Outlook 2016 stopping receiving
email suddenly.

I chased this down to Outlook claming the server did not support the
correct authentication method, which was strange as nothing had
changed on the server side for a while. The same user's iPhone with
the same username/password was working at the same time correctly.

What I think it was Dovecot caching credentials somehow wrong:
differet caching for iPhone and Outlook causing the problem. I solved
it by changing

cache_key=%u

entries to

cache_key=%u%r

in /etc/dovecot/toaster.conf

so Outlook connecting from different IP got cached differently than
the iPhone. Don't know what will happen when they appear in the same
WLAN though...

Why did this not happen before, I don't know, perhaps Outlook has been
updated and uses now some other auth by default than before?

Not sure if this relates to your problem at all, as I am running
pretty old Dovecot...

Best,
Peter