st...@keptprivate.com wrote on 10/21/21 9:52 PM:
> Thanks for looking at the problem and suggesting this. I'm starting
> to question my ability to read, because I swear I read that spfbehavior of
> 3 was soft-fail (kicks self)! I'm testing now to see if setting it to 1
> fixes it.

I was going by this page:

  https://notes.sagredo.eu/en/qmail-notes-185/spf-239.html

which suggests that 3 is 'reject-on-fail'.

I just checked '/var/qmail/control/spfbehavior' on my own server, and it
turns out to be set to 3, which might be the default.

So my first guess was that 'alumni.princeton.edu' had a stricter SPF
setting that was causing a 'fail' to be issued. But here's the MXToolbox
analysis:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=spf%3aalumni.princeton.edu%3a173.228.157.42&run=toolpage

(that IP is one of the POBox mail forwarders).

I think the problem is actually a little different. The last element in
their SPF record is '?all', which ought to cause '173.228.157.42' to
evaluate to 'Neutral'.

But MXToolbox thinks that '173.228.157.42' will return 'Fail', and the
only reason that I can see why that might happen is because the test is
also erroring out with 'Too many included lookups'.

So you could ask them to fix their SPF record, or you could lower your
value for '/var/qmail/control/spfbehavior' to make your server more
permissive. That might get you a lot more spam, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...

Angus