http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/SPF

On 10/29/2021 10:12 AM, st...@keptprivate.com wrote:

Hi,

I've been dealing with this SPF related problem, for one of my user's, for about a month. I didn't really understand all the particulars about SPF going into this and I feel like now I do. SPF itself seems to be in a mid-state between abandoned and falling out of use. Most information you find on line hasn't been updated since before 2015 and you find many dead links and sites referenced that no longer work. Take a look at "spf.trusted-forwarder.org" for example... which still serves up an SPF txt record of "*v=spf1 -all" but has no other information to be found.*

I would like to suggest that the qmailtoaster docs be changed to suggest relaxing the SPF restrictions by suggesting a domain SPF record ending in "~all" and an spfbehavior file of something less than 3 (the current default).

I have users who use forwarding services and the default settings caused significant headaches for them by causing delivery issues for (seemingly) random senders. Mail was getting through only from other domains with SPF records ending in "~all". It seems to me that if Google can end their SPF record with "~all" that it is probably a best practice today. On the receiving side, spfbehavior of 1 makes sure no emails are rejected. (This is of greatest importance with automated emails from banks, etc. where there is no "person" to see and react to a rejected email.)

Of course I understand that this defeats the purpose of SPF, but it seems SPF is dying and falling from use anyway and has become only one component of an anti-spam strategy.

At the very least, I hope this email can help others who run into this problem, and I want to thank others on this list who jumped in to help when I reached out.

Steve