Hi,

Naturally I'm a bit biased :-)

1. Programming-Style and Tools:
-------------------------------
Well both of them have pros and cons. I like the typesafety and the
perfect IDE-Integration of Java (Codecompletion, Refactoring Support,
Debugging-Support, ...) in Eclipse, Netbeans, IDEA, ... which though is
available to some extend for JavaScript too but not at Level Java.

On the otherhand JavaScript has nice things like first-class function
support (a function is a real language construct) allowing you to
program in a more functional-programming paradigm, dynamic function
arguments and other nice stuff, auto-type conversion - well it is a
scripting language :-)

IMHO the real difference is not in how you interface with qooxdoo but
how your own programm-logic is structured and maintainable. If you
structure your JavaScript code appropriately this is not impossible but
IMHO harder than if you code in Java.

2. Backend-Integration:
-----------------------
GWT comes with an advanced RPC-System which frees you from all the
serialization/deserialization stuff of even nested object graphs with
references not easily doable with JSON.

Still interfacing with JSON is supported by QxWT because it simply wraps
the JSON-Store or you could use the GWT built-in JSON support.

We are currently also working on new cool features for QxWT
inconjunction with Eclipse Technologies like EMF and Hibernate which
will allow you generate generic editors directly from your domain model
but we in the planning stage at the moment.

I know that there are qooxdoo backends available as well but I because I
never used them I can't say how good they are and which features they
provide.

3. Community:
-------------
qooxdoo as well as GWT have a vibrant community you can ask questions
and get support. QxWT is quite young (first release in December 2009)
but because QxWT tried to stay as close to qooxdoo-API as possible
fairly ALL available online resources and examples can applied 1:1 to QxWT.

If you look at the various GWT-UI-Toolkits (GXT and SmartGWT come to my
mind) you might see that the other comparable solutions don't provide
all features for free like qooxdoo and QxWT do and will do in future!

Tom

BTW QxWT since the last release also leverages the qooxdoo-toolchain to
create an application optimized before deployment even this difference
to a plain qooxdoo-Application has been gone on this front as well.