This is an interesting paper that I read a while back, and it is
probably (kind of) relevant.  It goes into how some of the "Big Dogs"
develop there systems.  It is entitled "A Highly Scalable Electronic
Mail Service Using Open Systems".  It talks about the mail system used
at Earthlink, and how they developed it.

http://www.earthlink.net/about/papers/mailarch.html

                                                      .~.
                                                      /v\
--                                                   // \\
                                                     ^`~`^
                                                   L I N U X
 Justin Ainsworth                    Systems Administrator &
 PHONE: (530) 879-5660x108      Technical Support Supervisor
 FAX:   (530) 879-5676                        Sunset Net LLC
 WEB:   http://www.sunset.net              1915 Mangrove Ave
 EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Chico, CA 95926