Quoting Scott Stavretis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> I am after some advice.  What is one to do when they have to many users on a
> single server (using one domain) and would want to split mail across
> multiple servers?  What do the larger ISP's do?

Define "too many users" please.

NFS has been used.  Read Nick Christensen's (1997?) paper on
the Earthlink setup.  www.jetcafe.org jumps to mind.

While I've written software to do it, qpopper with the monolithic
spool file doesn't really scale well to millions.  Other tools
have matured in the last year to go really big.

OTOH, with current machines an a good IMAP server, I've put
200,000 users on a machine.  Sendmail Inc's IMAP server has
tested several million on a single S/390 with Linux.

You alphabetic scheme has several problems.  Since it's not part
of qpopper, it's not relevant here.