At 9:17 AM -0500 2/6/03, Daniel Senie wrote:

Norton AV, and other email filtering and handling products which interpose themselves in as proxy servers in this way are really useless products. They fail to implement lots of features of POP (e.g. TLS) and create serious support headaches. Products which wish to filter spam or viruses REALLY should be built to "plug in" to mail clients via APIs. Other vendors get this right.
In addition to APIs, some clients are careful to write each message as a temp file before deleting it from the server. This has the added benefit of allowing local anti-virus software on the client to scan the file.

While I use Norton for virus scanning myself, I keep the email scanning disabled (I provide Antivirus in my mail server anyway, and have other protections on my client, so I'm covered). This poorly designed component really hurts an otherwise decent product offering.
These sorts of products also cause problems with clients that use CAPA.
--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------