I had tried manually moving the email to /var/mail/s/h but when I did I was in "root" mode and therefore root owned the file. Therefore, qpopper didn't "see" the file containing my email. After changing the permission everything worked fine.
Anyone know off hand how to get sendmail 8.12.6 to use a hash directory structure when delivering mail so that qpopper will find it where it expects it to be? Or is it recommended just to not use the --enable-hash-spool=2 parameter?

Thanks for your help,
Shane