>> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:03:04 -0800
>> From: Greg Earle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> I wrote:
>>> OK, I'm embarrassed to ask such a newbie question, but ... here goes.
>>>
>>> I run a small departmental POP server at work.  It serves maybe, oh, around
>>> 70-100 people or so (just guessing).  (So, to get ahead of myself a bit,
>>> we don't really have enough people - read: entries in "/var/mail" - for
>>> me to think that going to some two-level hash directory setup in the
>>> spool will help me with my problem very much.  Read on ... )
>>
>> I forgot to add something important: "/var/mail" is NFS-mounted onto most
>
> You need to migrate the people away from this.  For those that are
> using dtmail, they can set dtmail to IMAP mode and have mail on the server.
>
> The hard part here is showing, and convincing, the users how they get
> better service by NOT NFS mounting the mail spool and how service is
> improved for everyone by not NFS mounting the spool directory.
>
> I've done that.  Part of the migration process was done by bringing up
> a new, more powerful, mailserver and migrating user to that server.  Of
> course, the new server did NOT share anything - so the users could NOT
> mount the spool.
>
> One argument you could make is that the SS-20/71 is old and maintenance
> costs on a new server will be much lower... (True, by the way...)

Yes, I know - thus my comments on having a Blade 100 in the on-deck circle :-)

I just can't get to it quite yet.  Soon, I hope.  Right now, I'm just
looking for a Band-Aid for my existing Qpopper 4.0.4 setup to help it
limp along until I can really cure the problem once and for all.  I know
what the cure is  :-)

Thanks to everyone for all the good suggestions so far.

        - Greg