On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Chris Shenton wrote:

> I read that quote (from a couple years back) and he doesn't say how he
> believes Courier IMAP violates RFC -- he just asserts that it does.

A lot of such claims seem tohave no substance...

> He doesn't approve of Maildir, so anything Maildir-related is bad in
> his view.

Maildir seems like an ugly thing, but I don't think the guys who devised
MMDF/Mbox format 20+ years ago were thinking of mailboxes with 5,000
messages totalling 2Gb in them.

In the old days there were good reasons for using Mbox format (file
handle starvation and limits on the total number of files in a directory
(or massive slowdowns when the number of files in a directory exceeded
512)), but large user mailboxes are a _massive_ performance hit using
mbox format, especially when users are leaving their mail on the server
and deleting messages from the middle of the spool - the messages on
this list talking about machines with plenty of CPU and ram being I/O
bound while copying files in non-server mode, or CPU bound when users
delete files are testimony to that.

I was initially leery about Maildir format, but I have some to
appreciate that it is an _appropriate_ format for the purpose of leaving
thousands (or tens of thousands) of messages on the server in an
individual mailbox/folder. (No matter it feels like an ugly throwback to
my days of doing UUCP mail with Waffle 1.62 and its one message per file
format)

Times change. Mbox format is appropriate for small systems or for ISPs
who don't let users keep mail on the server, but Maildir quite simply
works better(*) for systems where users are holding large quantities of
mail on the server.

(*) Less CPU use, less ram usage, less IO grinding.

Flame away. I still use qpopper on small systems, but there is a limit
beyond which it's unsuitable for use - and that includes anything larger
than a small ISP.

AB