Hello all,

I am about at the end of my rope. Here on center at NASA we have three main servers that handle POP connections... our problem is that a great majority of users leave their mail on the server... which obviously is horrible for POP performance.

Regardless, I have tweaked and tweaked as much as possible, and am making a final change tonight. In particular I would like anyones' feedback on what kind of performance increase switching to hashed directories might achieve. I have procmail setup to use them, as well as a hacked IMAP I changed that will allow access to the hashed spools as well. My current setup is as follows...

Each machine is an E250 from Sun running Solars 8
Approx 1,500 users on each, with the mail spools under /var/mail
Qpopper 4.0.5 in servermode, running with .pop files set to a different disk from the mailspool (same controller though unfortunately).
2GB of RAM
40GB SCSI 10K drives
Qpopper running out of xinetd with the following setup...

service pop3
{
        flags       = REUSE
        socket_type = stream
        protocol    = tcp
        wait        = no
        user        = root
        server      = /usr/local/etc/qpopper
        port        = 110
        server_args = -s -b /var/mail/bulletins
        rlimit_cpu  = 120
        instances   = 150
        cps         = 110 10
        disable     = no
}

Also, I notice that from time to time I will see a qpopper session out there running as user root, and not the actual user.... keep in mind that our system is just extremely bogged down... could those just be the initial startup of qpopper that hasn't had a chance to switch to the user permission yet? I'm hoping so.

Thanks in advance.

---
Tim Meader
ODIN Unix Group
ACS Government Services, Inc. - (301) 286-8013
[EMAIL PROTECTED]