Daniel Senie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> At 02:41 PM 7/18/2006, Gerard wrote:
> >Using FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE
> >
> >I am continuing to have a problem with qpopper getting mail from an mbox
> >once the file grows to any sizable capacity
> >
> >This is an excerpt from the /var/log/messages file:
> >
> >Jul 18 08:36:47 seibercom qpopper[894]: gerard at 192.168.0.3
> >(192.168.0.3): -ERR POP EOF or I/O Error
> >Jul 18 08:36:47 seibercom qpopper[894]: Stats: gerard 0 0 143
> >30288106 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.3
> >Jul 18 08:36:50 seibercom qpopper[894]: I/O error flushing output to
> >client gerard at 192.168.0.3 [192.168.0.3]: Operation not permitted (1)
>
> This message most commonly indicates the client gave up and went
> away. Perhaps your customer is giving up because you're trying to
> push 30MB of data to them?
>

> >The recourse I have is to manually delete the contents of the mailbox. I
> >have the latest version of qpopper installed. I am unsure as to where I
> >could post this problem to other than here. I would like to post a bug
> >report, but I am not sure as to where to place it.
>
> This issue has been discussed at length. Generally the issue is not
> qpopper's fault. You haven't mentioned what version of qpopper you're
> running, though, it's also possible you're running an older version.

The program version is 4.0.9, so it is not obsolete.

Here is how the problem plays out.

1) Use fetchmail to harvest mail from main mail server - but leave the
mail on the main server.

2) Attempt to POP the mail off my server
   a) If the mbox reaches a certain threshold, the downloading of mail
      will fail.

3) Attempt to download the mail left on the main server
   a) Success

I have seen this problem mentioned many time. I have been advised to
dump my present mail system and install an 'imap' system with 'dovecot'
to handle mail delivery. Even the fetchmail manuals describe a problem
with qpopper and a large mbox(s).

If you know of a solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.

--
Gerard Seibert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]