On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Gerard wrote:

> 1) Use fetchmail to harvest mail from main mail server - but leave the
> mail on the main server.

POP isn't designed for this, leaving mail on server is a kludge at best.

Use Imap.

> 2) Attempt to POP the mail off my server
>    a) If the mbox reaches a certain threshold, the downloading of mail
>       will fail.

Timeouts on the client.

> 3) Attempt to download the mail left on the main server
>    a) Success

Longer client timeouts.

> I have seen this problem mentioned many time. I have been advised to
> dump my present mail system and install an 'imap' system with 'dovecot'
> to handle mail delivery. Even the fetchmail manuals describe a problem
> with qpopper and a large mbox(s).
>
> If you know of a solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Use Imap.

Qpopper is good at what it does, but there are fundamental client
restrictions which make it patently unsuitable for the job if more than
one client ever accesses the mailbox and/or if mail is regularly left on
the server.

AB