 solve.

 If one of the users on my mail server tries to fetch its mail, I see the
 follow error show up in the maillog:

 Dec 14 13:08:34 cobalt4i in.qpopper[7293]: rzoeteman at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): -ERR Error updating primary drop. Mail left in
 temporary maildrop (28)

 The server is an old cobalt RAQ server (4i) running qpopper 3.0.
 This user is unable to fetch all of the emails that are waiting for him.

 Can anyone tell what this error means, since even Google hasn't got any
 useful results.

 Kind regards,

 Zazell

The number in parentheses is the system error code that qpopper received trying to update the user's maildrop. Normally a text string explaining the error is also included, using strerror(). The fact that the string is empty in your case is probably explained by it being a very old system. The error codes are also contained in /usr/include/errno.h.

At any rate, error 28 is "No space left on device". How big is the user's spool file, and how much free space is there?
--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------