[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

        Possible solution, assuming I understand your setup correctly,
would be to set up a .qmail-default in your ~alias directory that forwards
everything inbound to localhost:10024. I expect that that qmail
installation will take care of final delivery.

Hadn't thought of that...

OTOH, I don't see why you would accept on one port and send it to
another port for processing, since it could all be done at the one port
with a single copy of qmail (and qpsmtpd).

We're running a dual qmail setup. amavisd-new is sandwiched between 2 instances of qmail. The reason we have 2 instances of qmail is

-amavisd tends to crash about once every two weeks
-doesn't handle heavy loads very well
-isn't as configurable as a full fledged dedicated MTA
-on the inbound you can use cool things, like qpsmtpd, you can do that w/ amavisd-new
-and on the outbound area can use things like qmail_out and smtproutes

This way amavis listens on a localhost where mail comes already pre-screened. If amavisd dies mail gets queued up in qmail_in. We have scripts in place which check if the amavis process is 1 - up 2 - responding properly.. If amavisd was more of a MTA we'd just run amavisd on this box and no qmail at all. This gives just extra control and stability.

--
Rock River Internet                          Roger Grunkemeyer
202 W. State St, 8th Floor                [EMAIL PROTECTED]