On 5-Apr-06, at 8:15 PM, John Peacock wrote:

Matt Sergeant wrote:
It's all about the connection overhead of forking. Forkserver forks for
every connection whereas Apache::Qpsmtpd doesn't. That's bound to  be
more scalable. Look how much faster Apache is than stock NCSAhttpd.

I that's all it is, we can easily(?) change forkserver to prefork some
percentage of its max connections and dole them out as needed. I may try to do that anyways because the inbound machines I use won't be getting Apache2 anytime
soon.

I think that's where the big performance gains come from. There's other management benefits to using Apache2 of course (like the scoreboard stuff).