Brad Zobrist wrote:
> I've opened up qpsmtpd to allow tons of connections and allow relaying from
> any internal IP address and have it forwarding via smtp, I have increase
> MAXCONN to 10000 and MAXCONNIP to 5000. These are completely overkill but I
> need to accept everything sent to it.

You didn't tell us what method you are using to run qpsmtpd (e.g. tcpserver,
forkserver, Apache, pre-fork, aldus lamp).  If the client is timing out before
you can send a banner, I wonder if your server is thrashing itself to death.
You can't just up the limits willy-nilly, and expect everything to continue
working.  If you were running the trunk code, which is the former
high-performance branch, it might be a different story.

The other thing to check is, if you are using tcpserver, you aren't trying to
resolve the IP address of the boxes that are connecting.  If you have a poorly
configured DNS (like M$loth's), it might take forever to time out.  You should
always call tcpserver in this instance like:

        tcpserver -H -l localhost ...

which won't do any lookups...

HTH

John