Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Robin Bowes wrote:
>
>> Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to suggest and discuss some
>> changes/improvements to the RPM.
>> 1. Drop an apache config file into /etc/httpd/conf.d, e.g. qpsmtpd.conf:
>> 2. Don't automatically set qpsmtpd-forkserver to start at boot.
>> 3. Fix up SELinux so apache can bind to port 25.
>
> I'd argue that these aren't "improvements" per se, but are changes from
> one preferred configuration to another. You'll violate the principal of
> "least surprise" if you released this as an update to the existing rpm.
>
> If you are going to do this, I'd suggest the changes should be in
> additional subpackages - produce qpsmtpd, qpsmtpd-config-apache and
> qpsmtpd-config-forkserver packages during the build, and allow the admin
> to decide which installation policy will be installed.

I hear what you're saying but, if you look at other similar packages,
they do stuff like this. These changes make qpsmtpd behave like other
packages. They should (IMHO) be added to the qpsmtpd-apache RPM so that
when it is installed it results in a working configuration.

Take mod_perl for example - that drops a config file "perl.conf" in
/etc/httpd/conf.d. Do you also think there should be a separate RPM for
this?

Also, I think there's a difference between local changes to allow
qpsmtpd to run (e.g. the SELinux change) and global changes (e.g.
opening port 25 on the firewall. The former should be done as part of
the RPM install, the latter should not.

R.