I've been using qpsmtpd for a number of years, and without knowing very
much Perl, I have been able to customize all of the plugins and write
dozens of my own, without any problems understanding that 'DECLINED' means
that the plugin is exiting (returning) while declining to do anything.

It probably took me less than a minute to understand and begin working with the 'DECLINED' verbiage. I never really though to suggest a change, but a couple of my colleagues found it unintuitive enough that they actually changed our whole (already forked) codebase to use NEXT. To them, it wasn't as difficult to intuitively see 'NEXT' as a statement pertaining to internal plugin operations rather than a response to the message delivery attempt itself. I think it comes down to an intuitiveness question and not a question of confusing anyone enough to actually cause bugs and the like. If QP doesn't see it the same way, then we'll probably keep our NEXT until my un-forking work is theoretically reaching its goals, and then we'll conform again to whatever verbiage QP uses. I might have submitted an inquiry to the list before bothering to come up with a patch, but it literally took an additional 2 minutes to make the patch itself, and I won't take offense if the patch is rejected outright

-Jared