In my user verification plugin, I'm using the standard Qpsmtpd function:

return Qpsmtpd::DSN->no_such_user("No such email address $address");

to generate no-such-user errors.  I use other DSN functions for other
errors as well.

The above generates this, for example:

550 No such email address sdfkjlksd...@nortel.com (#5.1.1)

Which puts the extended error code (5.1.1) at the end with the # sign.  Eg:

RFC821-error, text, (#extended error code)

My quick glance at the RFCs and examples coming up from google all show
such an error being expressed this way instead:

RFC821-error, extended error code, text

Eg:

550 5.1.1 No such email address sdfkjlksd...@nortel.com

Does someone have a quick reference as to where the "(#...)" & placement
is standardized?